Saturday, February 23, 2013

Now we will learn a little about Las dos Españas

I'll  be honest, I don't know that much about Spain. I know where it is in Europe. I know that Queen Isabella financed Christopher Columbus (He was from Genoa Italy though) on his trip to the New World. I know that everyone tells me that Barcelona is FABULOUS! and I know that they have really struggled of late with their economy.
So this is my feeble attempt to learn a little about the country.

Spain has a total of 50 provinces, these are like counties, in 17 autonomous regions, like small states(these autonomous regions have their own government, police etc). Each one is unique with different geography, distinctive climates and food. Now we are getting to something I want to experience! The Spanish are said to be very passionate about their wine and Spanish cuisine. Spanish food is described as light, but with a lot of vegetables and a huge variety of meat and fish.

The  country has a great deal of geographic and cultural diversity. Another thing I love to experience when I travel.  Each region has their own unique historical traditions and languages. I have been trying to refresh my Spanish, but others have told me to forget it. They tell me there are so many dialects that are difficult to understand and impossible to learn! The regions include; Basque Country (Basque), Galicia (Galician), Catalonia , the Valencian region, and the Balearic Islands or Illes Balears (Catalan), but also Andalusia. One far away region is the Canary Islands. These beautiful islands lie off the coast of Morocco, and are geographically part of Africa, but are also part of Spain.

Ya hay un español que quiere             There is a Spaniard today, who wants

vivir y a vivir empieza,                         to live and is starting to live,

entre una España que muere               between one Spain dying

y otra España que bosteza.                 and another Spain yawning.

Españolito que vienes                         Little Spaniard just now coming

al mundo, te guarde Dios.                   into the world, may God keep you.

Una de las dos Españas                      One of those two Spains

ha de helarte el corazón.                     will freeze your heart.
— Machado, untitled poem, "LIII," in Proverbios y Cantares, ca. 1910s

I am told by Vic's family that the Spanish are very proud of their long history, their country, their language and proud traditions, Vic's father told him that the Spaniards spoke proper Spanish, "not what they teach here!"
Now would be the appropriate time to tell you that Vics' real name is Vittoro Eduardo Boltes, but it was aglicized at the hospital in Buffalo and on his birth certificate.



Things that most people associate with Spain;
Bullfighting, Pablo Picasso, jamón (Ham),  Penelope Cruz (Vic favorite Spaniard!), Don Quijote, Pedro Almodóvar films, tapas, Manolo Blahnik. The thing that Vic most associates with his Spanish roots…..paella!

Foodie fact

Spaniards spend more on food per capita than anyone else in Europe!


I still have a great deal to learn about this country. In the weeks and months ahead I will research further into the art, more about the food, and culture. With a husband who is Spanish, a sister who was a Spanish teacher and a brother who is an artist, there is still much to learn. I am very excited to learn more each week.

 "Enjoying living was learning to get your money's worth and knowing when you had it." Ernest Hemingway     The Sun also Rises

No comments:

Post a Comment