Sunday, March 17, 2013

Finding that holy place

I have talk in this blog about various religions and what they do for their faith. The power of faith is amazing and fascinating to me. One expression that I like and often use at various times in my life.., "Fear is lack of faith". That little slogan has comforted me many times.
I am not perfect person, and certainly not a perfect Christian, but these simple steps I can do. that's how I operate best, simply. Sad but true.

Again, I am asking about faith. I guess this is because I feel that my faith is unworthy. 
Here is a definition that I like;
"Faith involves accepting claims about the character of a deity, nature, or the universe. While some have argued that faith is opposed to reason, proponents of faith argue that the proper domain of faith concerns questions which cannot be settled by evidence."
The word faith is often used as a substitute for hope, trust or belief.
I am frequently my worst enemy. Questioning myself frequently, and lacking in confidence.

Back to the Camino, and the draw to this infamous place and our desire to walk there. 
I have told you about The Apostle James and his process to Sainthood in Spain. Now I am going to share some of the "miracles" attributed to him. 
His time is Spain, evangelizing was not very successful. He converted only a handful of people. He then returned to Jerusalem. Where he was beheaded as the 1st apostolic  martyr. His head and bones where brought back to the west coast of Spain.    
The Apostle James and his legend was forgotten for hundreds of years. Then when Moors invaded Spain the "miracles" of James returned. There are legends of these miracles where James inspired warriors to fight ferociously against the Moors. There are also miracles of injustice, where James brought the spirit of a person back to life to prove that persons innocence. This is what inspired people to fight for his Sainthood, and to make him the Patron Saint of Spain. It was the beginning of the Camino

What is a miracle??   We all think we know…

I like this definition by C. S. Lewis
"I use the word Miracle to mean an interference with Nature by supernatural power."

C.S Lewis is a favorite of mine because he is a deeply spiritual person, but he speaks to me when he uses rational thought to explain faith.

 
Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see." 
C. S Lewis
For God gave us a spirit not of Fear but of power and love and self control. Timothy 1:7



No comments:

Post a Comment