Sunday, May 19, 2013

I love an adventure


The first real trip I remember, as a child, is a train trip from Philadelphia to Mobile Alabama. This trip was to see my Mothers cousin induction as a Arch Bishop(Archbishop Thomas Joseph Toolen, D.D). It was a very long train ride and I do not remember very much. But,I do remember that I got some new toys to play with along the trip, and when we returned to Philadelphia I left them on the train. I was so excited to see my Dad that I ran off the train without them.

I am the youngest of 7 children. My oldest sister is 16 years older. For the time, my Mom was quite old to be having children. Not at all unusual in todays culture. As a result, as I was going up, my parents were starting retirement and they wanted to start traveling. Our first trip was a short cruise to Bermuda.  This next trip was GREAT. We went on a Russian cruise ship to Leningrad (now St Petersburg), via Ireland, England, France and Germany. It was exciting and an unbelievable adventure for a 17 year old. I was walking around a communist country without my parents!! I got a first hand experience with history and it was thrilling.


After that trip I had the traveln' bug. The problem was that I was 17, still had college to attend, a job to find and a life to live.
Over the last 39 years I have been fortunate enough to travel the world. Most of my travels have been to eastern Europe and 1 trip to Eastern Africa. Many of the trips were extraordinary and most were just a nice vacation. Some silly, some scary but all are now a part of me. 
I will share just a few items , that I can remember….
Walking to the B&B on the Aran Island {Ireland},in the rain, that was “just around the bend”, which turned out to be close to a mile away. My niece and nephew were about 12 and nearly in tears, lugging their luggage down the lane, to the house. 
Missing a flight in France on the day that my Visa expired. That was the day that I learned that Immigration Control DOES speak more than 1 language when you get really mad at them.
Going from one end (John O’ Groats) to the other (the cliff of Dover) of England. 
Going Under the English Channel in a train. 
Getting off a train too soon in southern France, only to find out that it was going to cost me over $200 by cab to get to my destination. That one was just my stupidity, because it didn’t look that far on the map! I didn’t calculate the Alps.  Stupid!
Being stuck on the train entrance (steps) for 3 hours and being thankful to have a seat. That was because of a Italian train strike. 
Seeing hookers advertising in a window, in Amsterdam, with my 60 something Dad (awkward!).
Being married in Florence to my wonderful husband.
Having a policeman get in our car, in Africa, and insist that we go “down to the station”. Just going to say….. I was never going to the station, with anyone!!!.

These are just a few of the items in my collective memory, that I treasure. I look forward to adding to this collection of memories and adventures.


"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on
my list." --Susan Sontag

When I travel I always try to find some history, eat local food, seek cultural experiences and this time I hope to find some spiritual inspiration .



My next adventure will be different though. I will still seek history, embrace the culture, eat amazing local food but more importantly I will walk day in and day out with a mind that will be open to the physical and spiritual renewal.
The eyes of all look to you,    and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand    and satisfy the desires of every living thing. 
Psalm 145:15, 16. 



No comments:

Post a Comment