Sunday, January 13, 2013

So we follow in the footsteps of our ancestors

Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain The cathedral of Santigo de Compastolo

A pilgrim is a wanderer with purpose.

 I have always be very inquisitive. I like to  really look at things, take them apart, and try to put them back together. My faith has taken much the same path. When I was very young, I wondered why the nuns (in our Catechism class  @ St Margaret' s Catholic church in Narbreth, Pa) told us some of the things they did. I would ask my Mom but she didn't really answer me. You have to understand that my Mother was the most honest Christian person I have ever known. She believed so hard and so well that it spilled out of her. Where as my father, I felt that his religiosity was based on fear. Both of my parents were educated from elementary school through graduate school in the Catholic church.
I on the other hand I am a product of public schools and received my religious education after school at catechism classes ( religious instruction). Early in my education, as I said I had questions, that no one would answer or acknowledge. This just made me wonder more. The first major step for me, in the catechism classes was the 2nd holy sacrament called Confirmation. This is a form of baptism for children, at their "age of reason".  We were taught our lessons and studied so hard. We were told that the Bishop would be there and ask each of us a question. I was excited and very scared. You also need to know that I am a VERY literal person.I really thought he would ask each and every child a question. When he picked only one child to answer his question, I was crushed!
My Mom couldn't tell me why he only picked one child but she quickly distracted me with the party that was to follow at our house.
This pretty much sums up how I have looked at the church. Not until I was in my 30's and 40's was I able distinguish my "faith" from the Catholic church. It was then that I  began to have a personal relationship with my God that had true meaning for me.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrew 11.1
Faith is the very beginning of everything that really matters spiritually.

And so this blog just got a little personal. In the coming months I am going to be taking time to prepare a spiritual purpose for this pilgrimage. My starting point is that I am essentially a spiritual being on a human journey, not a human being on a spiritual one.
 I may not find answers on the Camino but I hope that I will start asking different questions. It will be a time to reflect on what has gone on in my first 55 years and what changes I can make to make the next __ years better. The Camino is not just a modern fad, but a journey walked by thousands of people over thousands of years!! I am so excited to be joining all those souls and previous pilgrims. Completed another 6 mile hike today :)



No comments:

Post a Comment