Wednesday, April 24, 2013

FEAR, what are we afraid of??


"I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear."



Rosa Parks had reason to be fearful, but she was not.She stood up to authority and won a great victory for herself and others. The past week has been filled with fear. Fear in Boston, fear and grief in Texas, and then there was a poison letter sent to the White House. 
All of this “breaking news” had Americans glued to CNN.  What is it about these events that makes us want to know more?
I was one of those people watching CNN. I couldn’t stop! 
But this time we saw something different. The people of Boston showed strength. BOSTON STRONG. 

I am not immune to fear. 

"Fear is the ability to recognize danger leading to an urge to confront it or flee from it.”



I am thankful that I am not a fearful person. I think it is because I am stubborn. When I lived downtown, my condo was robbed 3 times. The last time, they kicked the door down. By that time I was just MAD that it kept happening. I literally took the door and leaned a chair against it. I was not going to be scared away. In 1986, terrorists were bombing Paris. My sister and I were due to fly to Paris, everyone in our group canceled. Not us! We went and we had a great time.

When I am afraid, I use this slogan. 
Fear is lack of faith….
This slogan reminds me that I am not always in control and I need to let my fear go. I can only control myself, not others. I need to give my fear to God. Let him worry about it!
 I don’t like the use of fear by the church. I don’t fell like it is done as much today as when I was younger. I will always remember the nuns telling us that every day in hell was a light year long. I was only 7 or 8, but I understood the concept of a light year. THAT really scared me.
Now, I am old enough to have the courage and not to be afraid. But I hope that I still have curiosity about life.
Someone said to me today, “ fear is the world we live in now”. That is a sad truth. 





I too am learning how to sail my ship.. 

What does this have to do with The Camino? Nothing except my continued self searching of feelings and spirituality.
People fear God, people fear not loving God, and I am learning not to fear my feelings about my God and my relationship with him.


The Fear of God~
If you should rise from Nowhere up to Somewhere,
From being No one up to being Someone,
Be sure to keep repeating to yourself
You owe it to an arbitrary god
Whose mercy to you rather than to others
Won’t bear to critical examination.
Stay unassuming. If for lack of license
To wear the uniform of who you are,
You should be tempted to make up for it
In a subordinating look or toe,
Beware of coming too much to the surface
And using for apparel that was meant
To be the curtain of the inmost soul.
robert frost





No comments:

Post a Comment