Sunday, April 7, 2013

We can not forget the past...


Today is  Yom HaShoah

 It was established to remember the Holocaust and the six million Jews who perished.   Today  is the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.


"Hope is like peace. It is not a gift from God. It is a gift only we can give one another."
Elie Wiesel


What is the does this day, and this man have to do with my blog about preparing to walk the Way of Saint James in Spain??

Quite a bit, when you enter my brain and the path of faith that I am on. 
Elie Wiesel is a man that I greatly admire. He was a prisoner in multiple German war camps. Barely a young man, he came out of Auschwitz, Buna, and Buchenwald concentration camps and taught people about what happened there, so we would never forget. He was also the driving force behind the US Holocaust  Memorial Museum in Washington DC. Again, so we would not forget that horrible page in our history.  I was reminded of him today, and the writings and devotion to his faith and the history of millions of Jews . He too believes in God, but has struggled to make sense of his past, with his relationship with God.



Another man I admire is in the news too. Nelson Mandela. 

"Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
― 

Nelson Mandela

These men work to spread peace and yet they were both victims of history. Their strength and faith made them better people and moved them to be statesmen of peace.
I grow my faith through these examples.

I am also feeling better about my own religion, Catholicism. It seems that our new leader, Pope Frances is making movements that are positive and progressive. We still 
have to wait to see if he will follow his word with true actions. 
He has included the poor, and the marginalized in his works, thus far. These gestures are a real sign of change in the Vatican. Now we need to see what actions that follow his words, and if he will address the BIG issue of women in the church.
That will be an action that will really change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment